Sunday, August 27, 2023

It’s not long now….

Not long until a few things (Hudson Mohawk marathon, Antarctica, Disney Dopey) but the most disturbing is the likely length of time until this guy (yes, he’s 7) is beating me in races. I give it only 2 years and desire to do so and it will happen. He already has speed I legitimately cannot touch and a very natural endurance talent. He has been going on 2 to 4 miles jogs whenever he gets the whim…. Between 1.5 hour travel
Soccer practices. 

⛔️ This is Michael… runners beware ⚠️. I’m holding him back for now in fear of burnout and development issues. It won’t be long. This is him jumping to grab a leaf while on a 2 min sprint race against me. He was laugh the whole time… I was trying not to die. 



Training Update:
Long Run: 18 miles (last week) this week is my drop down week so I took Michael for my first 2 miles…. That and I went out for the first time in 8 years and wasn’t feeling my very best



Training Program: Peloton’s Road to 26.2 marathon program… semi adjusted. I’m adding 2-4 miles onto the long runs and some climbing work on the off days (future post on these). 

Pacing: This program has a lot of focus on target and current pacing including: current marathon pace, target marathon pace, tempo pace, etc. This is my second time through this program and I’ve used those paces to add speed. The first time I completed the program (last winter through spring) my marathon pace was roughly 8:30 and my tempo race was 730/7:40. This time through I’ve been picking up those times 5-10 seconds every few weeks.

Program Marathon Target Pace:  8:00
Program Tempo: 7-7:10 (currently up to 9 min at a time)
Long Run Distance: 18 (program reco 16)
Target Marathon: Hudson Mohawk Marathon in Albany, NY on Oct 8th

Next Race Up…
That’s a VERY good question. Between work, kids sports schedules, husband schedules, I have nailed down one weekend to add in a practice race before Hudson Mohawk. I hate running more than 20 miles in training runs so I use marathons to get the mileage in… plus a little extra. If I’m going over 20, may as well get a medal, right?

The weekend I’m doing my next marathon will be Oct 8/9. Between now and then I’ll do (1) 20 mile training run (next weekend). For that weekend I’m deciding between 2 options:

1) Erie Marathon. 26.2 miles. It’s about a 5.5 hour drive away. The course is as flat as a pancake and asphalt. 
2) Germantown 50k. 31 miles. It’s about an hour away (no hotel needed). The course is a looped 8 mile trail with about 3,000 feet of elevation. 

Sooo yeah they couldn’t be any different. I used to find trails to be super fun-‘but that was 10 years ago. Erie is only 26 miles vs 31 trail miles. Erie is far away to need a hotel and a long drive home. But the 50k starts later and will go longer with potential heat. 

I’m SO torn! Help me decide!
ERIE OR GERMANTOWN?!

No comments:

Post a Comment