Thursday, December 7, 2023

It’s getting real…

The bags are (almost) packed, trail gear has been tested and this showed up on the Antarctica Ice Marathon Facebook page yesterday. 😬
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=158T5_mivC3N4B1cxqKiG6OrMHqkMCiya
This shook my soul a little when I saw it. I haven’t been nervous about a marathon in such a long time but part of me loves the nerves. It means I’m taking on a new challenge and doing something very cool. This is something I haven’t been able to do since I became a mom. 

When you become a mom, sometimes you lose a little piece of you (or a big piece). Before kids running, taking on new challenges WAS my life. I’ve been trying to get back to me here and there (learning to bake, taking some Zumba classes) but this is the biggest jump and I’m proud of me.

Travel plans and how to stay updated:
My first plane leaves Cincinnati tomorrow night and I won’t get to Punta Arenas, Chile until Saturday afternoon. Here is the estimated schedule from there:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1k1cNdQ1S-IP_jADj6RkpcOb3OUA3m78J

We have a de-briefing and gear check on Sunday and then we WAIT. The race director and pilots will be watching the weather to determine the flying conditions. If everything looks good, we fly out on Tuesday. What happens if flying conditions are unfavorable? We wait.. and wait… but fingers crossed that Mother Nature is on our side. I’ve been stalking the weather in Union Glacier, Antarctica and was a little surprised that it didn’t just say “cold… duh.” I’ve also been watching the wind conditions out of Punta Arenas. I have no idea how much wind constitutes “dangerous” vs normal but praying for it to clear. 
 https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1nC6zUNseOayZCNMUQ-U4zvH0KZd1Us8g

Tracking me… sorta
As I travel to Chile and while I’m there, I’ll be posting updates on Instagram (handle: StephEFit) and my Facebook stories. I’ll update when we are clear to fly!

Union Glacier, Antarctica doesn’t have wifi or cellular service (taking book recommendations!!). The race director will be using a satellite phone to call in race updates and results. Somebody on the mainland side will be posting on their Facebook page found here:

The course is looped, and based on prior years, they will update as we pass check points. I imagine it will look similar to past maps:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=18fEQ0J-ZmD1TUFJuLyyFqqOM2QtwkKdv

As we get closer to the race, I get closer to my fundraising goal supporting Autism Connections in Cincinnati. Please consider supporting me, Mavi, and this great organization. 

1 comment: